Friday, March 5, 2010

New Home Gift Idea-Stamping on Fabric

TGIF!! This week certainly flew by but that's ok.  I am looking forward to this weekend as there is no game for my kids to attend!! I hope to sleep in if my kids will let me!

 Today I want to show you a simple project stamping and coloring on fabric and the use of your sewing machine.  I love this image from OCL's New Digs set and I thought it would make for a cute image on a kitchen towel.   Now, this was my very first sewing project so those of you who are sewers, don't look too close!! LOL!  But I think it turned out pretty good!



I purchase some basic white kitchen towels at Target and some craft fabric at my lcs.  Remnant fabric would work as well.  Whatever  matches the look you want and are going for.  You can find these in the sewing notions area.  I also purchased some Marvey Uchida Fabric Markers in a Pastel set and a single black fabric marker for outlining.  These markers say they are permanent and should withstand to washing, but I cannot totally vouch for that as I haven't tested it.  I did think about using colored permanent markers which I did use on my flowers.  It would probably work just the same.  Wash and dry the stamping fabric before you begin.  I cut to size my printed fabric for the bottom piece. I sewed all the edges and then lined it up to where I wanted this piece to be on the towel.  I would have liked it right along the bottom edge, but it's pretty thick and my machine would not penetrate that thickness so I placed it just above that.  As I sewed down the center of the fabric I would fold over the fabric to give the "rouching" look. (Is that even the right term?)  Once that was completed, I was ready to measure my image fabric and background fabric and start on that.  When I started this project, I chose a very light cotton fabric to stamp on and I think if I were to do this again, I would choose something a bit thicker.  Once you have cut your fabrics to size, I used my Staz-On ink on my stamp and stamped the white light fabric.  I made sure it was a light coverage of ink to be sure it doesn't run in the fabric.  Staz-On is not recommended for fabric, but I needed something to use as my outline and knew I was also going over that image with my black fabric marker anyway.  I outlined the image and colored it in to match using the pastel set of fabric markers.  I quickly went over the entire image and sentiment with my heat gun to set and also let it air dry for a bit before continuing.  Once dry, I placed my image fabric in the center of the decorative piece, folding over the edges for a clean look and securing with pins.  I then sewed along the edges using the zig zag pattern.  When that was complete, I placed the whole piece on the towel where I wanted it and again, folded over the edges securing it with pins.  I sewed the edges with the zig zag pattern.  Your towel is now complete!  There are many things you can do from this point, especially for those of you more advance with sewing.  You can  embellish it and really make this decorative and fancy. You can personalize it, put initials; make it something special for whom you are giving this to.  I finished this project by adding a little slide piece over the towel ready for giving using some cardstock measured to fit all the way around.  I then used more sentiments from this set and the small heart as the final touch.  Well, I think that sums this up. Thanks so much for taking a look!

**You still have time to enter for my Blog Candy here.  If you know anyone else who wants some candy, send them this way to enter!!**

Have a great Friday!





10 comments:

  1. Totally CUTE and so creative! This is a wonderful house warming gift. I see you are putting that new machine to work. DH's gotta love that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. how awesome. what a fabulous gift idea! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FABULOUS idea! Over the TOP cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely AMAZING my friend! I'm blown away!! That is TOO COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift! This came out so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This totally ROCKS Deborah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO cute, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Smokes! This is amazing!! You've knocked my socks off!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SUCH a darling project! You make me want to go out and buy some fabric markers! TOTALLY CUTE and what a great gift idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments!